The increase in the educated population and the increase in the level of education decreased the importance of university degrees in the competition in the real sector. Now, having a master’s degree rather than a bachelor’s degree is more important for professional competence.
Admission requirements for graduate programs of each university differ. As there are differences between universities, different documents and procedures need to be prepared for entry to master’s programs among foreign and Turkish students.
In recent years, Turkey’s undergraduate and graduate education has been highly preferred by foreign students. The increase in the quality of education, the increase in job opportunities and the improvement of living conditions are the main reasons for these choices. The conditions for obtaining a master’s degree in Turkey are as follows;
Documents Required from Foreign Students to Get Postgraduate Education in Turkey
- Photocopy of ID information of foreign students issued by the country of citizenship or passport
- Fully filled and signed Consent Statement
- Fully filled and signed Equivalence Application Form
- For foreign students who have completed their undergraduate education in Turkey; The original of the undergraduate diploma or a copy approved by the graduated school, notary public, foreign representatives
- For students who have completed their undergraduate education abroad; The original of the “Undergraduate Equivalence Certificate” issued by the Higher Education Institution or its Turkish translation approved by the Turkish Foreign Representatives.
- All courses taken during undergraduate education; Certified and translated transcript showing course hours, credits and course grades.
- The “Diploma Supplement” of the undergraduate diplomas obtained from the member states of the European Union or the approved and translated version into Turkish
- Students with dual citizenships, documents showing that they live in the country where they studied during their undergraduate education, and photocopy of the processed sections in their passports showing the entry-exit dates
Diploma Equivalency Regulation for Foreign Students
One of the conditions that foreign students must fulfill in order to receive graduate education in Turkey is to apply for diploma equivalence or diploma recognition. In order to apply for diploma equivalence, in addition to the documents required above, the following conditions must be met;
- Documentation of applications to work for employment in Turkey
- Documentation of applications for citizenship of the Republic of Turkey
- Documenting the approved contracts of foreign academic staff working in any higher education institution
- Documentation of these fields of work by those who take part in research and development projects carried out by public institutions and organizations, in international programs or within the framework of European Union Framework Programs
Foreign students must fulfill the above conditions completely in order to do a master’s degree in Turkey.Otherwise,the application processes will start all over again and year losses may occur.
Graduate Application Conditions and Required Documents
For Turkish students who want to do a master’s degree, the conditions are slightly different. For this reason, students who subsequently acquire Turkish citizenship should follow a different process.
The first requirement for a master’s degree is; having a bachelor’s degree. Temporary graduation certificate is not accepted and a bachelor’s degree is required.
Different grade point averages are required according to master’s programs. This grade point average must be provided and at least 55 points must be obtained from the ALES exam. The score types of master’s programs vary between 55 and 100 points. ALES is not required for non-thesis master’s programs.
The original or notarized copy of the undergraduate diploma, the original or notarized copy of the transcript, and the reference letter must be included in the application file.
Each university has a graduate application form and admissions regulations. You can easily access these forms and detailed information about graduate programs on the official websites of universities.